Giving Thanks, Day 15: November 1, 2017

From http://www.maryo.co/giving-thanks-day-15-november-1-2017/

I hope I’m not jinxing myself but today I am thankful that I haven’t had any migraines for a while.

 

It’s not “just” not having migraines, but the fact that, should I get one, there’s nothing I can do about them anymore.

 

I used to get migraines quite often, a hormone thing probably. I spent lots of hours in a completely dark room, blocking out sound, trying to keep my head from pounding.

 

There was a long period of time that I had a migraine 6 days out of the week for several weeks. By accident, a friend asked me on a Monday if I had one that day and that started me thinking – why do I have them every day except Mondays? I figured out that it wasn’t a migraine at all but an allergy headache – I was allergic to the bath oil I was using Monday-Saturday. I gave that to my Mom and those headaches went away.

 

I still often get allergy headaches. Since my Cushing’s transsphenoidal pituitary surgery, I can’t smell things very well and I often don’t know if there’s a scent that is going to trigger an allergic reaction. In church and elsewhere, my Mom will be my “Royal Sniffer” and if someone is wearing perfume or something scented, she’ll let me know and we’ll move to a new location.

 

There’s a double whammy here – since my kidney cancer surgery, my doctor won’t let me take NSAIDs, aspirin, Tylenol, any of the meds that might help a headache go away. If I absolutely MUST take something, it has to be a small amount of Tylenol only. My only hope would be that coffee from Day Thirteen. And that’s definitely not usually enough to get rid of one of these monsters.

 

So, I am very thankful that, for the moment, I am headache/migraine free!

 

Latex Allergy Awareness Week: Understanding the Dangers of Latex Overexposure

Latex Allergy Awareness Week 2015By Carrie Soares on October 6th, 2015

Living with a Latex allergy is extremely dangerous; primarily because many people are unaware of its hovering existence. Most don’t realize that an overexposure to latex can cause critical, life-threatening symptoms and reactions.

Did you know that latex is actually found all around us? Chances are, you are eating it when dining at your favorite restaurants, and are handling it at work each day without even realizing…

What is a Latex Allergy?

Latex allergy reactions occur as a result from overexposure to natural Latex rubber proteins. Thousands of people throughout the country are continuing to get sick on a regular basis with no idea as to why.

Those who have been diagnosed with sensitivity or an allergy to latex, often struggle with how to live with the illness, and can spend most of their life suffering through violent reactions.

The tricky and dangerous reality of having an allergy to latex is that people are exposed to Latex in many places without even realizing it. Most reactions are found to occur in restaurants due to using Latex gloves during food prep or while in doctor’s offices and hospitals (both latex-rich environments).

Symptoms to watch out for with Latex Allergies

Latex allergies range from mild to severe, depending on your sensitivity and the degree of latex allergen exposure. Your reaction can worsen with repeated latex exposure. Mayo Clinic describes the mild, more-severe, and anaphylactic shock symptoms of exposure to latex when living with this allergen.

Mild Symptoms:

  • Itching
  • Skin redness
  • Hives or rash

More-Severe Symptoms:

  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, watery eyes
  • Scratchy throat
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Wheezing
  • Cough
  • Sneezing
  • Anaphylactic Shock:  This is the most serious allergic reaction to latex, and can be deadly. Anaphylactic  reactions occur immediately after latex exposure in highly sensitive people, but rarely happens the first time you are exposed.

    Signs & Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

    • Difficulty breathing
    • Hives or swelling
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Wheezing
    • Drop in blood pressure
    • DizzinessLoss of consciousness
    • Confusion
    • Rapid or weak pulse

    Source: Latex Allergy Awareness Week: Understanding the Dangers of Latex Overexposure | MedicAlert Foundation