Latex Allergy Awareness Week: Understanding the Dangers of Latex Overexposure

Latex Allergy Awareness Week 2015By Carrie Soares on October 6th, 2015

Living with a Latex allergy is extremely dangerous; primarily because many people are unaware of its hovering existence. Most don’t realize that an overexposure to latex can cause critical, life-threatening symptoms and reactions.

Did you know that latex is actually found all around us? Chances are, you are eating it when dining at your favorite restaurants, and are handling it at work each day without even realizing…

What is a Latex Allergy?

Latex allergy reactions occur as a result from overexposure to natural Latex rubber proteins. Thousands of people throughout the country are continuing to get sick on a regular basis with no idea as to why.

Those who have been diagnosed with sensitivity or an allergy to latex, often struggle with how to live with the illness, and can spend most of their life suffering through violent reactions.

The tricky and dangerous reality of having an allergy to latex is that people are exposed to Latex in many places without even realizing it. Most reactions are found to occur in restaurants due to using Latex gloves during food prep or while in doctor’s offices and hospitals (both latex-rich environments).

Symptoms to watch out for with Latex Allergies

Latex allergies range from mild to severe, depending on your sensitivity and the degree of latex allergen exposure. Your reaction can worsen with repeated latex exposure. Mayo Clinic describes the mild, more-severe, and anaphylactic shock symptoms of exposure to latex when living with this allergen.

Mild Symptoms:

  • Itching
  • Skin redness
  • Hives or rash

More-Severe Symptoms:

  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, watery eyes
  • Scratchy throat
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Wheezing
  • Cough
  • Sneezing
  • Anaphylactic Shock:  This is the most serious allergic reaction to latex, and can be deadly. Anaphylactic  reactions occur immediately after latex exposure in highly sensitive people, but rarely happens the first time you are exposed.

    Signs & Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

    • Difficulty breathing
    • Hives or swelling
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Wheezing
    • Drop in blood pressure
    • DizzinessLoss of consciousness
    • Confusion
    • Rapid or weak pulse

    Source: Latex Allergy Awareness Week: Understanding the Dangers of Latex Overexposure | MedicAlert Foundation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s