A heart attack occurs about every 20 seconds with a heart attack death about every minute…
Dr. Michelle Capdeville, Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- 1.5 million heart attacks occur in the United States each year with 500,000 deaths.
- More than 233,000 women die annually from cardiovascular disease.
- A heart attack occurs about every 20 seconds with a heart attack death about every minute.
- Sudden death is more common among women with heart attack.
- The National Registry of Myocardial Infarctions (New England Journal Med., 22Jul99) reports that women have a worse outcome than men after having a heart attack. Data showed that women under the age of 50 had twice the mortality of men after having a heart attack. Variances likely reflect increased severity of the disease in younger women.
- Almost 14 million Americans have a history of heart attack or angina.
- About 50% of deaths occur within one hour of the heart attack ––outside a hospital.
- There is a 6% to 9% early mortality from heart attack for those who survive long enough to…
View original post 203 more words